Friday, March 19, 2010

Pretty Bad Movie

Filming has been quite the process. The movie making process so far has been good. That of course is easy for me to say because I am the editor and have not been very involved in the filming. It looks as if everything is going well. The movie wrapped up today with a scene in which I was an actor. I felt as if I was a pretty bad actor. My southern draw, if you can even call it that, sounds pretty uneducated and thick on the big screen. (well little bitty screen) But oh well, the shooting is over except for some probable pickup shots. I think our movie is going to turn out really well. THere are a few shots that will take some good editing but for the most part jenny and imran and our actor justin have made the job easy for me.

This week in class we watched a senior students film that he made. I was not very impressed with it. It was definitely more polished than ours will be. However, he spent tons of time on it, like a year, and it still was boring. The sound was poor at times and the acting wasn't so great. However, everything he did was for free and it isn't like he had Tom Cruise lined up for the roles so I guess it was alright. I just altogether did not like his movie. The plot was really boring and the ending was abrupt and left me without any type of closure. The lighting was also pretty poorly done. Who am I to critique him, well I guess I am as good of critic as any. I have watched tons of movies. I hope that our movie ends with closure and can leave our audience with a sense of what is going on unlike his. I can tell he worked hard and I congratulate him on achieving what he desired with his film. But it just didn't flip my switch.

I guess editing will start soon following spring break. I hope that I can do a good job and take the great clips we will have and turn them into a cohesive movie. It seems as if the editing process will be tough but I enjoy challenges. I will definitely enjoy making this move my own.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see your final product, Bryan! I am also an editor (sound), so I haven't really done much for our film yet. So i definitely feel the way you do in that respect. As far as the senior student's movie, I agree with you on some accounts. It didn't seem as awesome as you would think it would be after working on it for over a year. The acting wasn't that great, I agree for sure. But then again, it's just a few college students. Still impressive for him to do, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope seeing that movie both gave you some ideas for things to make sure to pay attention to, and confidence that you could do as well or better!

    ReplyDelete