Friday, March 12, 2010

Creepy oh so Creepy

After watching "The Player", I can definitely agree with Donna that nostalgia for 70's and 80's movies has not yet developed. I again did not enjoy the movie we watched. I can't quite pinpoint why I don't like the film. It was very dark. I think I might not like it when justice is not served. Mill gets away with murder and it seems as if all the other side plots in the movie just constantly keep me uncomfortable. For the second week in a row the director has made me feel a certain way about things and I don't like it. I am not sure if I just dislike being led to feelings by a director or if I just want to be led to better happier feelings. The movie was so creepy it was just difficult not to feel creeped out. I went to red box to pick out a movie after last nights class and had real trouble. The movie put me in a weird mood in which I didn't want a suspense, action, or thriller of any kind. Those are usually the only movies I watch. So I picked out "Where the Wild Things Are". It was interesting and innocent enough to allow me to relax. The ending was okay but not quite what I was expecting. Although it may be neat to finish a movie with a writers finish, I can appreciate cliche endings just as much, if not more.

With our film, I hope that our ending and movie doesn't make people uncomfortable. I do not think it will because it is not what we are going for. We are hoping that we can keep the viewer on the edge of their seats throughout our action film. But there shouldn't be any weird plot twists that end in our main character murdering someone and sleeping with his girlfriend before enjoying a mud bath. One thing I thought was interesting about the movie we watched that might be useful in our film creating is the use of clothing to represent mood as the film progresses. Tim Robbins seems to wear darker and darker clothes the more evil he gets. I think we could possibly do this with some of our supporting characters. It is hard to describe it any more fully without giving away to much. So guess what, I won't.

We are shooting this Saturday so that everyone can go away for spring break. Well everyone was going away anyway. I hope it goes well. I hope that we can make a movie that is enjoyable. I think that it will be. I hope we can do as well as some of the directors we have seen thus far in portraying our vision or thoughts about things to the audience. Either way the process will for sure be fun.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found some ideas to take away. I love "Where The Wild Things Are," by the way -- it seems to me absolutely brilliant to take this very sparse source material and make out of it a kind of interior dialogue in Max's head, where he imagines the monsters responding to things in a mixture of adult and childish ways.

    ReplyDelete