Friday, February 19, 2010

Now that you've examined cinematography, editing, and screenwriting; have begun to look at film with an eye to its structure and elements; and have done an initial division of labor with your teammates -- where do you think your short film project is headed? First, explain the short film project for readers not familiar with our syllabus. Then talk about what ideas or directions, whether nascent or more fully development, have emerged from your group discussions so far. Finally, give us your own personal vision for what might be possible in your short film, with the personnel and resources in your group. What's your ambition, and what would it take to realize it?

In our once a week film class we have a film assignment of creating a short film. Our class has been cut up into groups of four or five and assigned different film genres. Our group is a group of four and we have been assigned an action film. Our films have to include a clown/mime, a skull, a guitar, and the line "Why is this happening to me on today of all days". We will be renting time slots to use one of two class cameras and editing our movie in the ethnography room offered by our class.

I think our short film is headed in the right direction. After all the workshops we have attended, I believe that we will be able to put together a quality short film. It would be very difficult to put together a film as good as spider but it is not a stretch, based on our training, for us to get close to it. In our action film, we have decided very few things so far but one thing is for sure we are having a chase scene. We spent a majority of class time brainstorming plots. We have several directions we are thinking about going. We definitely want to include some plot twists and have some epic music. I believe (and we have learned) that music can make or break the movie. I hope we can do well with applying music to our action film.

My vision for our short film is one of a somewhat stereotypical action star. Many groups will go for things outside of the box. That is going to be neat but I would like to do something that people can recognize. I would like to have a good strong action figure. However, I do not want it to be like Rambo. I would it like to be more in the same area of the transporter. Imran (our director) had a few ideas that fell along that line and I really took to them. I think that it would be interesting to make a film along those lines. In our chase scene, I would like to see some overhead (aerial) shots. I know that will be up to our cameraman (as I am editor) but I would like to see that in our film. I do not really see a love story side to our film. I think it would only distract because of the film duration. Possibilities are endless for us. We will only be limited by our technology. I hope that we can find some extra actors. It would be difficult to make a movie only using the people in our group. My ambition is to make an action film that will keep people on the edge of their seats and comes to an end with the good defeating evil. Although it may be all to common, there is a reason most movies end with the good guy winning. I like that.

The one thing that it will take for us to achieve our goals is time. One word, simple, it is time.

No comments:

Post a Comment